Monday, July 04, 2016

A series of unfortunate events

2016 is not my best year so far. I have been tested to the max. A series of unfortunate events which left me very little hope to continue living. But you will never know what  strong is until you had to be strong. It's tiring, being strong for most of your life.

So another dreaded episode of my life came this blessed month of Ramadhan. The month I love most because my Mom gave birth to me in this holy month. A day before Ramadhan, I was again being an independent woman and so called strong; unfortunately fell from a chair and I broke my left elbow.

This strong woman didn't even go to clinic to get treatment thinking that she could bare the pain. She endured for two weeks with just a painkiller bought from a pharmacy. However the pain didn't go away and the hand can't be straightened. And that's when she finally gave up and went to the nearest hospital to fix the problem. Here goes... 

At a time when I really can't take a brake, I am facing yet with another life challenge. I went to the emergency to check on my right arm last Thursday night, 27th June'16. After about two hours I met with the MO incharge. In order to get my arm xrayed, the MO got my urine tested to ensure I am not pregnant. Yup, even when I told that I am not married. He said we follow procedure. Okay good to follow procedures.

After basic finger tips sense of touch and condition of the skin plus arm movement, the MO said most unlikely I had broken anything. It was before the xray. Then after the xray, he said with confidence, no fracture. I was given a nerve and painkiller pills. That's all. I left the hospital with pure relief as nothing was broken.  I thought.

The next morning I was called by the hospital and was informed that there was a fracture and was asked to immediately come back. I went there and was again xrayed. This time an Orthopeadic Dr saw me and he advised that I might need an immediate surgery. They put me into a temporary cast and was given an appointment to meet the ortho specialist on Monday. What kind of surprise was this. I was devastated hearing about the possible surgery.

So I went, again was xrayed. And the Dr confirmed the need of surgery to put a plate for the fracture. My operation was scheduled on next Friday, 1st July'16. I was nervous and freaking out. It cost me RM2,010.00 to put on the plate (and this is a government hospital). They gave me a quote and details of bank account to pay. But I can't straighten my arm and it's painful. So I decided to go ahead with the operation albeit many doubts and financial difficulties. 

First time in the 42 years of my existence, being hospitalised. So, it's like a big deal to me. 

Wearing the ugly but comfy hospital uniform. Not so bad. The doctors and nurses were nice and courteous. So I feel well looked after. Kind of a resting period for me, though. 

The surgery went off smoothly and I left hospital only after 3 days. Enough time to celebrate Eid in another 3 days. My hand looks good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails

My mind says:

  • If it's not you, who else!
  • Love your country. Keep it SAFE & GREEN...