Monday, December 03, 2012

Patchwork Quilt

Piecing it up together using a machine,
unlike in the olden days.
I had many praises for my late Mom. One of it was she was a great artisan. She has many unimaginable skills that many would have not the capability to learn in their lifetime. But my Mom was one of those special person on earth. Al-Fatihah. May she find peace in the life of the hereafter. 

I was properly brought up by my Mom. Not so much by my father. He was pretty much an outstation person most of his life. We hardly saw him at home but we do love him nevertheless. Unlike my late mother, she was our world. Living away from our home town had brought us family closer. She made sure the girls in our family has all the womanly skills needed to face our womanhood including a few skills that will ensure our survival in case of being jobless :) 

This is how it looks like in the close up.

One of my Mom's best talents were sewing. She handed it down in our blood. Although myself do not have the same blood type, I have all her features in terms of looks. Girls in my family including one of my brothers, all of us were forever grateful to God, that we can sew something or just anything and make a living out of it. She was my greatest inspiration in this entire world. How I miss her everyday. Thank you Mak (Malay endearment for a mother). 


The finish product.
The motif is called monkey wrench,
What I am about to share here in this posting is about patchwork and quilting. It is one of my many hobbies and now has becoming a real part time job. As always, this talent was handed down to me by my late Mom, my greatest Guru. She used to piece together little remnant cloths from her sewing project to make blankets and doormats. She was very diligent in sewing it by hand. I was impressed since I was very little. Everyone in our family has their own patchwork quilted blanket made by our Mom. She made it as gifts for relatives and friends too. I started making my own cotton blanket when I was 14 years old. A bit later though because I had too many interest in life. One of them at that time was making my doll's dresses, LOL! 

How it looks like in the baby crib.
So as you can see in the photos, these are my latest work. A baby gift to my younger sister who gave birth to a handsome baby boy, little Syaheem born in November 2012. I am so in love with little Syaheem already. She wanted it to be a baby set, which includes the baby quilt for mattress, 2 pillows and 2 bolsters. And another request was it has to be in green. So I made it exactly like requested. It took me about 3 days to assemble the whole thing together to completion. The hardest part was making the pillows because it was so tiny. The patchworks were made in smaller size in comparison with the baby quilt for the mattress. It was a relieve that my sister liked it :) 

Baby quilt is a great gift to your baby. It would be most memorable if you can make it yourself. It is not really difficult to make if you know how to operate a sewing machine, then you can do it definitely. Just find time to watch the tutorial on Youtube. It will help you a lot. 

Well, that's all for now. I never thought of sharing this part of me here in the blog. But on a second thought, why not :) 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Liz, wow! I am impressed with your patchwork. They beautiful!
    Not many young girls know how or interested in this.
    My wife has this hobby too, and in summer we us a patchwork blanket she made.
    Good to know your mom brought you up to be a lady. Not many can claim that credential today.
    Good for you.
    Have fun and keep well.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee,

    Thanks for the compliment. I really owe it to my Mom. Your wife has this hobby too? Great, isn't it to have a wife that knows sewing and cooking well. Makes it all easy and handy.

    I was not well this few days. Down with flu, coughing and a bit of fever. The weather is bad. Everyday we had rain in the evening especially.

    Hope you are doing fine over there. Health is very important.

    Take care,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My mind says:

  • "I CHOOSE TO LOVE EVERYTHING THAT IS MINE"
  • If it's not you, who else!
  • Love your country. Keep it SAFE & GREEN...