Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Family is Best


Left: My handsome youngest brother CD, cooking lemang on eve of Hari Raya
Right: My younger sister Lyn with her family


1st Photos: My eldest sister's family, Along
2nd Photo: My second sister's family, Angah


From Left: My cute little nephew, Shahmi and my dad, yellow babe, my kind-hearted mom, my third sister Alang, younger sister, Lyn (front row) and youngest sister Fika (front row)


Yours truly in Yellow Nyonya Kebaya with Sarawak Batik Sarong

All of the above are photos of my fabulous and happiest Eid Celebration with my loved ones. I had the best Hari Raya in three long years and so happy to share it with everyone in this blog :)

I spend my first day of Raya with families at home, in Kg. Damai, Kuang, Selangor. I came back home on the eve of Hari Raya itself (due to some unforeseen circumstances). At that time, my brother CD was cooking lemang at the front of the house with my nephew Faiz and my father. My younger sister Lyn and her family were there earlier. When they all see me, I can see smiles on everyone’s face. Heehee… I was welcomed with so much love and warmth.

Not long after me, came my sister Alang. Both of us were late. Oh dear… Lucky I was back on time to see the lemang cooking. This year, my big brother Shahril was not celebrating with us. He went back to his wife’s place in Perak. As usual, couples will argue which home to go back to, whenever there is Hari Raya. Well, next year we all will be around as one big family.

Never mind that, on the eve of Hari Raya, we cook lemang (rice cooked with coconut milk in bamboo), rendang (beef cooked with special spices and coconut milk) and ketupat (rice cooked in casing made from coconut leaf)with kuah kacang (spicy ground nuts gravy). I slept at 2.00 am after all was done and in order.

On the first day of Hari Raya, everyone was in their new traditional attire. Men with songkok (black head dress) and sampin (a piece of sarong-like material wrapped around the men’s waist) whilst the ladies with tudung, kebaya and baju kurung. My sisters whom have families of their own preferred to wear themselves with same-colour theme of blue and pink and red but me and the rest whom are still single have no theme at all :) We wore whatever we like. We received a record breaking guest on the first day of Hari Raya. I was left tired but happy doing dishes and cleaning up the table.

On the second day of Hari Raya we went off to Tanjung Malim, Perak to pay visit to my mom’s side of family. Oh dear… we visited to so many houses that I have never step foot in my life. Towards the end of the day, my father suggested we all shoot off to Kedah to spend Hari Raya kampong style visiting my sister, Angah husband’s hometown. Wow!!! What a drastic decision on second day of Raya… But we all went along with it, anyway.

On the third day of Hari Raya, we were in Kg. Permatang Bonglai Besar, Air Hitam, Jerlun, Kedah. Like in a dream. Waking up in a house surrounded by paddy field, coconut trees and all those chickens. Wow! I had a true blast!

My father wanted to buy some bamboo trees for his garden and the best place was in Perlis. So off we went to Perlis just to get the bamboo. So lucky the nursery is near the Taman Ular and Reptilia Perlis, so we went it for a peek.

It was a real fun time for me and my nephews. I seldom had time going out with them, so the Hari Raya break and the journey to Kedah, was an awesome experience for all of us. It brought us closer as family.

We have pledge ourselves to get together again next year with better programme with families to create better bonding and to create memories for years to remember.

THE BEST MEMORIES ARE THE ONE THAT IS SHARED!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My mind says:

  • "I CHOOSE TO LOVE EVERYTHING THAT IS MINE"
  • If it's not you, who else!
  • Love your country. Keep it SAFE & GREEN...