Sunday, September 28, 2008

Bukit Tabur Night Climb


Top view of Bukit Tabur at around 2.30 a.m. - Photo curtesy of Mahfiz


Eight of us on the top! Yea!!! - Dee Z, Along, Myself, Azizah, Yani, Mahfiz, Lyn and Mie


Bukit Tabur is located in Taman Melawati, Kuala Lumpur under the administration of Majlis Perbandaran Ampang Jaya (MPAJ). The hill is a very popular hiking spot. Bukit Tabur is also known as Bukit Hangus by the locales. To go to Bukit Tabur, from Kuala Lumpur city centre, the easiest was to use the Middle Ring Road 2.

Our team of eight people went there at a meeting point near Giant Hypermarket in Taman Permata oppisite of Taman Melawati. We started our climb at around 1.00 a.m. after all has arrived. The starting point was at the Klang Gate Dam.

Earlier on, myself and Azizah, one of my Mount Tahan mate, Mie aka Adam and Along both are my newfound outdoor friends went for shopping spree at Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman. The plan was to buy myself Baju Kebaya Nyonya and Baju Melayu for my beloved younger brother. I got all those shopping done beautifully. However, it was a very jamed night. The amount of people shopping that night was out of your mind. You can hardly breath. In the end, the three of us, only I did all the shopping. I got all what I was looking for with big smile on my face. Can't wait to flaunt my yellow Kebaya Nyonya this Hari Raya :)

Done with shopping, we head straight to Taman Permata via Selayang-Batu Caves-Taman Permata. We met with the rest of the team at 12.00 mid night.


Arriving at the Klang Gate Dam around 12.30 a.m. we started our climb at around 1.00 a.m. I have been retiring from climbing exactly one year ago. My last climb was Gunung Tahan and I never went anywhere afterwards. Lack of training makes me feel so unfit and humble compared to my younger team mates. I used to be a very good climber last time. Hehe... This is really making me feel so old! No way! I was panting at the beginning. However, once I got used to the speed and the terrain, it's getting easier. Thank God.

The hill is about 1000 meters in height. However, it is very rocky. It was made of quartz/limestone combination. A climber needs a good shoe grip in order to climb and a little bit of wall climbing skill because you will find a lot of those vertical rocky walls. Climbing Bukit Tabur really brought back those time when myself and Azizah were in Mount Tahan because the geographical condition was very much like climbing from Camp Pangkin to the top of Tahan. And climbing at night time was something Azizah and I were used to while in Tahan. We were always late to reach our camps because it was difficult and very slow climbing with the blind people. Usually we end up reaching our destination at 8.00 or 9.00 o'clock in the heavy rain situation. It was very nostalgic. I missed all those experience. Makes me determine to repeat Gunung Tahan climb with friends this time.

Back to Bukit Tabur, it was real fun climbing with newfound friends and not to forget my adorable friend, Azizah. She's the reason to all these new madness in outdoor. I was thankful to her for coming back into my life when I needed it the most.

Dee Z, Yanie and Mie

Not to underestimate Bukit Tabur, it has certain areas that are a bit challenging. At one part, one has to use a rope to go down. Those who has heights problem might feel a bit difficult to go through that phase. This happened to Azizah, surprisingly. She's the queen of mountains. Have conquered so many mountains in Malaysia. More than me! However, we all love her and made her do it no matter what. Let her conquer all her fears.

We reached the top at around 2.15 a.m. Just about 1 half hours. Haha... What a joy to see the beautiful night view from the top. You can see lights from Genting Highland. It's like a city floating in the sky. You feel like an angel who wants to fly over to that city. And you can see the mist pooling like clouds at the bottom, makes you feel so high above. Like you are standing above the clouds.

The city lights of Kuala Lumpur was a breath taking scene. You can see KL Tower and KLCC too. So out of words to describe. We celebrate with fire crackers and 'bunga api'. We cooked simple meals. Not so hungry but it's nice to have meals to instill some memories on top in the wee hours :)
We set up small fire to brightened the night. It was really cold up there. Again reminded me of Camp Pangkin before reaching the top of Tahan. It was windy too. Lucky we had early rain that day, so the night was clear. You can even see the stars. Magnificient!

We came down at around 3.35 a.m and reached down at the foot of the hill at 4.30 a.m. exactly. Two of our friends, were waiting for us at the foothill, sleeping in the car. Haha... They were too late to join us but still want to catch up with sahur together. We found out that their car was having a pucture. They don't even realised it! The guys all set to help. Within minutes, it was done. Later we all shoot for sahur at a nearby mamak.

At 5.30 a.m. all said our farewell... Most were planning to go back sleeping till afternoon because of Saturday. However, I was to work, Manager on Duty for weekend at the hotel. Huhu... no sleep for me.

It was a great climb and unforgetable experience in Bukit Tabur. All of us pledged to repeat a climb, this time to see sunrise from the top. Surely it will be a marvelous view. We had to start climbing in the wee morning around 4.00 a.m. to see achieve that. And to come down before the sun is above our head. It will be really hot in the afternoon due to scarcity of vegetation up there.
Another fantastic memories :)

2 comments:

  1. Well done!
    I guess you will eventually find higher summits to conquer!
    Selamat Hari Raya, Maaf Zahir Batin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pok Ku... Insyaallah, next year come Chinese New Year, I will be climbing in Pulau Jawa, Indonesia. Want to try something out of Malaysia this time :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My mind says:

  • "I CHOOSE TO LOVE EVERYTHING THAT IS MINE"
  • If it's not you, who else!
  • Love your country. Keep it SAFE & GREEN...