Monday, February 18, 2008

Love the Lions

Yee Sang tossing at Sin Chiew Daily Newspaper; we had Lion Dance visit to our media partner to show our appreciation of good working relationship and to bless the year with prosperity and good luck.

Do you know that Yee Sang tossing is a Malaysian culture only? It is not practiced in China, Hong Kong or Taiwan. Only famous in Malaysia. When asked among my Chinese friends, they are all not very sure where it came from. Even if it was originated from China, someone introduce it to Malaysia and it got famous here. Most believably it was started in Klang Valley. Later, it was fast spread throughout the nation. You can taste the best Yee Sang in hotels around Klang Valley including the one from my hotel. Fascinating, isn't it. I asked my boss to clarify this to me. He told me all these stuff about Chinese immigrants starting it during the tin mining era. Well, for sure, I could not find any writing documentation to support the fact. May be the Chinese knows better and can explain this one day.

Another famous popular Chinese dish is Bak Kut Teh. It is also not a dish familiar at the restaurants in China, Hong Kong or Taiwan. Exquisitely in Malaysia only. May be Singaporean will argue but hey, who can beat Klang Valley for that. You can find it every where. I, as a Malay can still tell the obvious. My brother in law is a Chinese convert. He used to cook us a Chi Kut Teh, so I had a bit taste of the herbs used. It was a simple herbs mixture but Chinese in Malaysia managed to turn it into hot recipes that is famous among the non-malays because the Malays do not eat pork. The halal version is Chi Kut Teh, that uses chicken instead of pork.

Back to Lion Dance, I am writing about it actually, now I am straying. Pardon me. Our Lion Dance Troupe for the day was Chung Wu Tai Chi Society Dragon and Lion Dance Troupe. They've won a few competition awards around Malaysia. Another proud facts about Malaysia is that we are among the top Lion Dance performer in the world. We have beaten up China, Hong Kong and Taiwan in many world competition. I've read it many times in the newspaper but I have no energy to find the facts for the benefit of this blog. You may check it out yourselves, ya.

My Lion Dance Troupe, have done a great job in Sin Chiew Daily. They have shown an impressive performance today. I am so proud to have chosen them to perform on behalf of our hotel. Our audiences all were entertained and sometimes made sounds such as Wow! Oo! Wah!... They commented that the performance was the best among the five other performances earlier that came to visit Sin Chiew Daily. I was like a proud mother and so happy to hear that.

What so interesting about the Lion Dance that we brought was that they incorporated a fun element, good communication and movements such as teasing and playful act among the two lions as well as the audience. The throwing of the mandarin oranges was fabulous. All of us try to get one and was not despair. It was awesome. They could throw it very accurately. And they can really do stunts with ease to the applause of all who was present.

Towards the end of the visit, we all had fun and exchange contacts. Due to excellent job, the lion dance troupe were in demand by the media now. They might get themselves even busier next year :)

To show my appreciation, I would like to disclose their contact here:
CHUNG WU TAI CHI SOCIETY DRAGON AND LION DANCE TROUPE
No. 81, Jalan Hujan Gerimis 1, Taman Overseas Union, 58200 Kuala Lumpur Tel: 019-312 0886 (Mr. Danny Sew)

1 comment:

  1. hey sweets, i just read your blog.. finally.. i think we see things almost from the same side of things..

    it's good to know there is more than 1 soul in this world with an alternative perspective..

    love you
    dhena

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My mind says:

  • "I CHOOSE TO LOVE EVERYTHING THAT IS MINE"
  • If it's not you, who else!
  • Love your country. Keep it SAFE & GREEN...