Sunday, September 04, 2005

JOE DIRT AND UPTOWN GIRLS

I’ve been watching too much TV lately. It all began with watching the CNN news about Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana and Mississippi. Truly it was a horrible catastrophe. My heart goes to all those unfortunate mostly poor black people. They have the world’s prayers with them. We all wish they will be able to rebuild what they have lost.

America being a powerful country of the world, it makes us so humble to even offer our help. If they want it, they will ask it, but they don’t. They could manage with their huge resources and hi-tech equipments unlike when the tsunami hit Asia last Christmas. The only help we, the rest of the world, the developing countries, could offer is our hopes and prayers.

The tragedy of New Orleans will always be remembered to me because it holds fond memories of my favourite novels by Anne Rice. The Chronicles of the Vampire and the Chronicles of the Mayfair Witches. The backgrounds of those books were mostly in New Orleans a city known for its music, traditions and witches (at least in my books). I used to really dream one day to see the city myself. It is sad that it is no longer there to be seen. The old buildings and the places will never be the same if ever I get there or if ever it still exist.

Now back to the TV thing. Switching in between the bad news of the world today, I got stuck with Star World Channel. They were showing ‘Joe Dirt’. A story about an ordinary guy namely Joe Dirt. He’s a janitor at a radio station when one day he got the chance to tell his life story of his quest in searching for his parents whom he had lost in the Grand Canyon when he was only a toddler.

It was hilarious and touching at the same time. There were good messages in the movie such as family, friendship, and love. I watched it with my youngest sister. She loved it to tears. So you better believe me when I said it was a good movie.

I don’t usually watch movies on TV because I like to buy my own copy of DVD or most of the times I’ve already watched it in cinemas. This movie another one that I got stuck with was actually by accident while I was doing my laundry. I saw Brittany Murphy whom my sister got confused with Gwen Steffani. She asked me whether that was Gwen Steffani, the ‘No Doubt’ singer acting in the movie. Then I told her, no, it was not. Then I saw the little girl, Dakota Fanning who used to act superbly in ‘I am Sam’ and recently she appeared beside Tom Cruise in ‘The War of the Worlds’; that was what made me want to watch the movie. I missed the first 30 minutes but it didn’t affect my understanding of the story line.

The story was really touching except for all the scenes with an ugly looking small little petite snorty swine. Eeeee…..!!! Makes me want to puke. How could you take that as a pet? That’s really stupid. Dirty and diseased. I don’t care. I’d rather die than live with a swine. Excuse me, was that racist?

Okay the genre of the movie was the same as ‘Joe Dirt’; i.e. a touching comedy. It was a story about ‘Molly’ a daughter of a famous rock star who had passed away without leaving her much to live with. She then lived with her best friend and worked as a nanny to a rich family. The little girl played by that fantastic child, Dakota Fanning (God I love her acting prowess). She portrayed a strong character, a little child who is matured beyond her 8-year old. She likes ballet and classical music unlike Molly who is her opposite. A grown up with a character of an 8-year old, so they kind of conflicting with each other and their own selves. Superb acting is the word!

What makes the movie really touching was because they hired superb actors who know how to transform boring script into something interesting. Basically, the movie tried to touch issues about life and about growing up when you were from upper class society, the rich and famous. That’s why it was named “Uptown Girls”. A story of hardships of the uptown girls; how they face the difficulties in their lives. Nothing much really but it was worth watching. Surprisingly very touching or may be I was being soft. I don’t know but I really like it.

2 comments:

  1. Anne Rice?...wwoooo I've not seen any Anne Rice's fan for ages. She's a vampire genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amir,

    Yes, she's a genius, not just for vampires, genius in her ways of expressing life in all her books. She's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My mind says:

  • "I CHOOSE TO LOVE EVERYTHING THAT IS MINE"
  • If it's not you, who else!
  • Love your country. Keep it SAFE & GREEN...